Monday, April 27, 2015

Urad Dal wada (Black lentil dumplings)

Past two days it rained and I thought of making something crunchy which also matches with the weather. I thought of making Urad Dal wada. My mother makes this often and I have watched her making wada and the whole procedure but never made it on my own. This was the first time I made it on my own and it came really good.

To make Urad Dal wada you will need :-
2 cups of urad dal without skin/ with skin (available in Indian Grocery Store)
Salt to taste
2-3 tablespoon ginger chilly paste (adjust to your choice)
Oil for frying
4 cups of water
Pinch of baking soda

Take a bowl and add urad dal to it. I was not having urad dal without skin with me so I soaked dal for 1-2 hours and washed it more than 10 times each time removing its skin as much as possible. After that almost 90% of skin was removed. If you have urad dal without skin than it would be better option. Then wash dal(without skin) 2-3 times and soak it for atleast 4-5 hours till all dal gets covered and above that little water. Keep adding water if dal absorbs all water. After 4-5 hours remove all the water from dal. Now grind dal in mixture. Add water about 5-6 tablespoon if required. Batter should not be too liquidy. Add ginger chilly paste and salt and mix well. Add baking soda and mix well. Heat up oil in frying pan and when oil gets moderately hot, then with the help of spoon add small dumplings carefully to oil and allow it to fry till golden brown. Remove from the flame and serve hot with coriander chutney or tamarind and date chutney.


No comments:

Post a Comment