Saturday, August 16, 2014

Rotlo (Pearl Millet Roti)

I posted Baingan Bharta earlier and to accompany with it I thought of making rotlo with it. Rotlo with baingan bharta and a dollop of ghee and jaggery is very healthy meal. I also seve with it pickled chillies and I am very sure if you serve in this way you will remind of that thaba food which is served on road sides. 

Traditionally it is made with hand and not by using rolling pin but I don't get it in correct shape and thickness from all sides so I roll it. My mother and my grandmother make using hand and their rotlo comes out far better than me but its matter of practice....

So lets not talk and dig in to the recipe :-
1 cup of bajri (pearl millet) flour
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup water

Take a bowl and add bajri flour to it and add salt and mix well. Add little water at time and make a smooth dough but don't make it too elastic. Kneat the dought with your palm several times to make it smooth so that rotlo can roll easily. Cover it with damp cloth for about 10-15 minutes. Take a tennis ball size of dough and dig it into bajri or wheat flour and then roll with rolling pin. Take a nonstick griddle and when its hot then put the rotlo on it and cook it one side first. When it is cooked one side flip it over and cook another side. Then remove from the flame and roast it on the flame so that is cooked properly. 
Serve with a dollop of ghee and jaggery on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment