Sunday, December 28, 2014

Gujarati Undhiyu

Undhiyu is very traditional recipe of Gujarat. It is prepared in different ways in different parts of Gujarat. I will share you the recipe which my mother has taught me and I am making that way and it taste so good that I do not want to make any changes in that. At the time of serving add some gram sev on it. Traditionally jalebi is seved with Undhiyu so it balances the taste of spice with sweet. But here in United States it is not easy for me to get jalebi everytime so I serve with roti or wheat poori.

To make Gujarati Undhiyu you will need :-
1 cup tuvar lilva ( I used frozen)
1/4 cup ratalu/ purple yam (I used frozen)
1 cup surati papadi ( I used frozen)
1 medium sweet potato diced
2-3 small eggplant diced
1 medium potato diced
2 cups of coriander chopped
1 teaspoon carom seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4-5 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon grated coconut (adjust to your taste)
Salt to taste
1-2 teaspoon ginger chilly paste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilly powder
1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1 cup water

Take a pot and add oil to it and allow it to heat up. Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add carom seeds to it. Add tuvar, surati papadi and salt to it and mix well. Add some water say about 1/4 cup. Cover it with lid. When it gets cooked half way add potato, eggplant and sweet potato and mix well and add some water if needed. Add half of coriander leaves chopped and cover it with lid. Allow it to cook on medium heat. When it gets tender and soft add all the spices and half of coriander leaves chopped and mix well. Allow it to cook for 2-3 more minutes.

Serve hot or at room temperature with roti or poori. 

No comments:

Post a Comment